Release: The Media Sprinkler
Published: 12 Sep 2008
The Media Sprinkler is a GSM telephony gateway that bridges services of the global mobile network (GSM) with the Internet (IP). The main goal of the system is to provide a flexible architecture that helps to develop innovative applications that require the use of mobile phones and short message services (SMS).
Apart from being able to handle SMSs, the sprinkler also acts as a complex audio mixer, capable of routing GSM calls to the traditional phone network or linking calls between different GSM operators. What makes the sprinkler attractive is its portability which enables the possibility of deploying a SMS server without the need of being directly connected to the operator's wired network.
In a nutshell, the Media Sprinkler integrates in a single unit, a connection to the GSM (mobile telephony), the PSTN (fix telephony) and IP network (Internet).
What can be done with the Media Sprinkler?
The Sprinkler provides a simple way to develop new applications, hiding to the programmer the more complex aspects of dealing with Internet and GSM calls. The possibilities are endless as the platform can be easily adapted within hours to implement any new service. For example, the platform allows:
- The creation of new information services via voice or SMS (campaigns, media coverage)
- The interconnection of GSM phone calls between different operators.
- To record and play pre-recorded messages from and to any voice media.
- To publish SMS content on the Internet (web, mail, Twitter, etc.)
As a proof of concept and in order to illustrate the flexibility of the platform we have written a set of sample applications.
- SMS bulk scheduler: The application allows to schedule distribution of bulk-SMS to a selection of phone numbers.
- Incoming SMS to Email/Twitter: The application allows the processing of incoming SMS and the posting of the content to a third party Internet site, such as Twitter.
- Automatic GSM call forwarder with playback: The application allows to schedule calls and playback a pre-recorded message.
- Phone number harvester: The application allows to identify active GSM numbers and track their status.